Tax Attorney Job Description
Our expanding and sophisticated boutique law firm specializing in tax litigation, controversy and international tax is located in Rockville, MD and is looking for an experienced Tax Associate to compliment its practice.
An ideal candidate has an LLM in Tax Law and/or a CPA, a detailed working knowledge of tax law, and strong communication and negotiation skills. Our ideal candidate with be able to work through complex legal matters and understand the impact of rules, regulations and case law. K&A attorneys are expected to stay abreast of the latest tax changes and are encouraged to write and speak often.
The position involves advising individuals and businesses of all sizes in federal, state and foreign tax issues including, but not limited to compliance, employment, income, excise, property, estate and gift tax. Our ideal candidate is to create strategies that work within the confines of the law and the client’s desired outcome. Our ideal candidate will also counsel clients on a regular basis and communicate directly with them, as well as taxing authorities.
- Along with excellent communication and negotiation skills, be adept at interacting with clients, taxing authorities, public accountants, colleagues and ·staff;
- Be extremely proficient in research and analyzing tax law as well as U.S. tax treatises;
- Must meet all filing deadlines and maintain consistent communication with the taxing authorities as well as the clients;
- Ability to handle evaluation, risk assessment and counseling on various complicated tax problems;
- Substantial contribution to the field of US tax controversy, foreign tax compliance, litigation and/or planning, either through publishing, speaking or prior employment;
- Controversy experience required, litigation experience preferred;
- Ability/desire to generate business is ideal.
- Along with a JD, you must have substantial financial/accounting experience and have received a CPA, an LLM in Tax or both.
- Minimum of 6 years practice as an attorney.
- Four or more years of direct tax controversy and/or tax litigation will be considered in lieu of a CPA or LLM.
Salary is commensurate with experience, merit bonuses are awarded periodically and our benefits package includes parking, PTO, health insurance and a 401K.
Please indicate interest by sending your resume, cover letter, transcripts, letters of reference or a list of references, writing sample and salary requirements to [email protected].