Owe taxes from 2019? Tips to reduce penalties.

Generally, taxpayers who owe from previous tax years can file an amended return and send a check to cover the missed bill. The harm that taxpayer faces depends on the details, but generally equates to a relatively small interest penalty. Unfortunately, in light of current circumstances this generality is unlikely.

The coronavirus pandemic has led many offices to close. Government officials intend these closures, based on the guidance of medical professionals, to help reduce the risk of spreading the disease. This includes many government and judicial offices. As a result, even the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is not operating at full capacity.

This means the agency is not processing incoming mail in a timely manner. Amended tax returns may sit in a pile of mail to get sorted and processed at a later date. In the meantime, the taxpayer who was hoping to have a minimal financial penalty could see interest added to the bill as well as additional penalties.

One potential option to avoid the problem: send the amended return through the mail but pay the IRS the owed tax bill electronically. This strategy should reduce the risk of additional penalties and fees while the amended tax return awaits processing.

Other options may be available and depend on the particulars of your situation. As a result, it may be advantageous to seek the counsel of an experienced attorney. Legal counsel with a focus in tax law issues can review your case and discuss options to come into compliance with tax law while mitigating the risk of additional penalties and fees.  

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Kundra and Associates Today

Please call our offices at 301-637-8130 or fill out the form below to arrange a confidential consultation.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Our Attorneys

Rockville Office
110 North Washington Street
Suite 406
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 301-424-7585
Fax: 301-424-7047
Rockville Law Office Map

Washington, D.C. Office
1025 Connecticut Avenue NW
Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20036

Phone: 301-637-8130
Fax: 301-424-7047
Map & Directions

Mumbai, India
C/o Anmol Sekhir Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
Chartered Accountants
3rd Floor, Sahakar Bazar
Opposite Railway Station
Bandra (West), Mumbai, India 400-050

Phone: 301-637-8130
Map & Directions