Ms. Kundra is a tax litigator and advisor who works aggressively to solve current problems and prevent future controversies. The firm's clients include businesses, non-profit entities, entrepreneurs and individuals seeking legal tax and financial counseling. Ms. Kundra's practice is nationwide. Through the span of Ms. Kundra's legal career, she has consistently focused on tax litigation, controversy, business, and planning issues.
Ms. Kundra has successfully litigated and settled numerous civil and criminal tax cases, structured various business entities and resolved a number of legal tax audits, controversy matters and divorce tax issues.
While working at the Office of Financial Enforcement, U.S. Department of Treasury, Ms. Kundra focused on money laundering issues and violations of the Bank Secrecy Act. This was in addition to handling administrative law appeals at the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Ms. Kundra also performed financial analysis for the Bakery & Confectionery Union and International Pension Fund.
Ms. Chaya Kundra received a Juris Doctor from the Washington College of Law at the American University where her course work emphasized tax, accounting and finance issues. She majored in Finance at Loyola College and was selected as a member of the Green & Grey Society, which honors the top twelve graduating seniors who embody leadership, scholarship and community service.
In August 2007, Ms. Kundra was interviewed by Fox 5 News for the segment Maryland Comptroller's Office Names Top 50 Tax Defaulters, regarding state of Maryland officials seeking more than $6 million from delinquent taxpayers.
Ms. Kundra was quoted in "The Times of India"
Named one of the Top Lawyers in Maryland and Woman of the Year
ROCKVILLE, MD, May 13, 2015, Chaya Kundra, Esq. has been recognized for showing dedication, leadership and excellence in taxation and international tax compliance law.
Backed by more than two decades of experience in the legal profession, Ms. Kundra draws upon her working knowledge as a tax litigator and tax controversy attorney to operate practices in Maryland and Washington, D.C. Her clients are local, national and residing all over the world. Working aggressively to solve current problems and prevent future controversies, Ms. Kundra is the Managing Partner and proprietor of Kundra & Associates, P.C. Her practice is nationwide, and her clients include entrepreneurs, businesses and individuals seeking legal tax and financial counseling and ultimate resolution. Kundra & Associates' specific areas of practice include criminal and civil tax litigation, tax controversy, sales and use tax issues, international tax compliance and employment tax matters.
Having entered her profession after receiving a J.D. from the Washington College of Law at American University and a B.A. in finance from Loyola University, Ms. Kundra acquired invaluable experience working on money laundering issues and violations of the Bank Secrecy Act at the U.S. Department of Treasury's Office of Financial Enforcement.
Ms. Kundra has been admitted to the Maryland State Bar Association, as well as the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit and the U.S. Tax Court. Her professional associations include the American Bar Association's Taxation Section, Maryland State Bar Association, Maryland Bar Section of Taxation, Bar Association of the District of Columbia, DC Bar Section of Taxation, Federal Bar Association, Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Indian American Bar Association, the Women's Bar Association of Maryland, the U.S. Tax Court's Inns of Court, and the National Association of Professional Women, which named her Woman of the Year.
Ms. Kundra has served as Co-Chair of Day One of the Maryland Advanced Tax Institute, Fellow of the American Bar and Montgomery County Bar Associations, American University Dean's Advisory Committee, former Chair of the Employment Tax Section for the American Bar Association, and the Montgomery County and Maryland Tax Sections.
Among Ms. Kundra's professional honors are being included in Fortune Magazine's Women Leaders In The Law for 2013, 2014 and 2015, U.S. News & World Report's Best Lawyers for 2014, 2015 and 2016, Best Lawyers in Washington, DC and Baltimore, Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers, and receiving a Superb Rating by AVVO. Prior to (this), Ms. Kundra has been named NAPEW woman of the year, Super Lawyers 2009, Circle of Excellence 2011, awarded National Association of Entrepreneurship 2011 and Women's Leader in the Law 2012.
Ms. Kundra approaches each day with strength, passion and enthusiasm. She strives to maintain the highest standards of excellence, and consistently puts the interests and needs of her clients at the forefront.
It is an honor to welcome Chaya Kundra as one of the top lawyers in Maryland.
Interviewed by Fox 5 News for the segment Maryland Comptroller's Office Names Top 50 Tax Defaulters, regarding state of Maryland officials seeking more than $6 million from delinquent taxpayers - August 2007
Areas of Practice
- Taxation Law
- Administrative Law
- Asset Protection
- Business Organizations
- Civil and Criminal Tax Litigation
- Closely Held Business Taxation
- Corporate Tax Issues
- Divorce Tax
- Employment Law -- Employee
- Employment Law -- Employer
- Estate Planning
- International Tax Law
- IRS Audits
- Tax Litigation & Appeals
- Tax Controversies and Collections
- Tax Fraud
- 70% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- Article, Journal of Tax Practice and Procedure, June, 2010
- IRS Fails to Nab Payroll Cheats, FinancialWeek.com, August 25, 2008
- Life Cycle of a Federal Tax Controversy - JOURNAL OF TAX PRACTICE & PROCEDURE, December 2006 - January 2007
- Taxation Section Monthly Newsletter for the Montgomery County Bar Association, 2006
- Life Cycle of a Federal Tax Controversy - Maryland Bar Journal, November, 2006
- Federal Tax Practice and Procedure, Maryland Advanced Tax Institute - Panelist, November 3, 2008 - Present
- Preparer Penalties, Maryland Advanced Tax Institute - Panelist, November 3, 2008 - Present
- Important Income Tax Aspects of Bankruptcy & Foreclosure, Montgomery County, MD Bar Foundation - Panelist and Moderator, September 17, 2008 - Present
- Seminar, The Update on Employment Taxes - ABA CLE Seminar, 2009 - Present
- Collection Due Process; Why, When and Taking it to Court District of Columbia Bar, 2009 - Present
- Panelist, Preparer Penalties, Maryland Advanced Tax Institute, 2008 - Present
- Panelist, Federal Tax Practice and Procedure Update, Maryland Advanced Tax Institute, 2008 - Present
- Panelist and Moderator, Taxation on Discharge of Indebtedness, Montgomery County Bar Foundation, 2008 - Present
- Worker Classification/Responsible Party, MD State Bar Annual Meeting, 2008 - Present
- Important Income Tax Aspects of Bankruptcy & Foreclosure, Montgomery County Bar, 2008 - Present
- Ethical Considerations in a Buy/Sell Business, 2008 - Present
- Preparer Penalties 2008 Montgomery County Bar Spring, 2008 - Present
- Important Income Tax Aspects of Marriage & Divorce, 2007 - Present
- The Nuts & Bolts of Payroll Taxes, 2006 - Present
- Pass-through Entities, 2006 - Present
- Tax Increase and Reconciliation Action of 2005 HR 4297
- Seminar, Federal Tax Practice and Worker Classification, 2005 - Present
- The IRS Dirty Dozen Tax Schemes , 2005 - Present
- Annual Program on Tax Updates for MD State Bar Annual Meeting, 2005 - 2008
- How to Stay out of the IRS Frying Pan, 2004 - Present
Honors and Awards
- Named in SuperLawyers, 2009
- National Association of Entrepreneurship 2011 First Generation Entrepreneur of the Year
- Circle of Excellence, 2011
- Washington DC’s Women Leaders in the Law 2012
- Named NAPEW Woman of the Year
- Best Lawyers Award, 2013
- Fortune Women Leaders in the Law, 2013
- Top Lawyers in Maryland, 2013
- Best Lawyers Award, 2014
- Best Law Firms, 2014
- Acquisition International Finance Awards Tax Law Firm of the Year – Maryland, 2014
- Fortune Women Leaders in the Law, 2014
- Best Lawyers Award, 2015
- Best Law Firm, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alan J. Goldstein American Inns of Court, Member
- American Bar Association, Civil and Criminal Penalties, Member
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, Member
- Federal Bar Association
- U.S. Tax Court’s Inns of Court
- Fee Dispute Committee for Montgomery County, Co-Chairperson
- Indian American Bar Association, Member
- Maryland State Bar Association, Co-chair for Membership of the Tax Section
- Maryland State Bar Tax Section: Tax Controversy Study Group, Member
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Chairperson of the Tax Section
- Montgomery/Prince George's County Tax Study Group, Member
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Section of Taxation
- Women's Bar Association of Maryland, Member
- Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- National Association of Professional Women
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association